Friday 2 October 2009

A long day in the field

It is almost 10 pm in the evening. Just finished a coordinating meet to ensure we reach the maximum number of people tomorrow in the remote areas requiring shelter, clean water, medical assistance, food and pother basics.

This morning I went to the airport at 4.30 am and flew on a chartered flight from Jakarta to the earthquake affected area of Padan. On the plane were Indonesian red Cross orthoaedic surgeons, soup kitchen managers, PSP (physiological councillors) relief and logistics experts, restoring family links team, all from the Red Cross. Some Japanese rescue team members were aboard with their rescue dogs.

Flew with Colin Tuck and PMI colleagues to inspect affected villages. What devastation ! I spend time with one elderly woman with a broken back and a large gash in her arm. Tuckey went back to the helicopter and got the firs aid kit and we dresses her room. I will write about that later. Came back after 3 hours and then two planes with shelter materials arrived from Australia. We are moving relief supplies out quickly and the medical and rescue teams continue their work.

I have found a hotel somewhere in town with water. no windows but water.

Down the road nearly one hundred children are buried under a collapsed school and rescue teams with dogs are working hard through the night with the hope of finding them alive. I hope I can sleep. I must close my batteries are almost flat. I have no electricity to charge the batteries. Good night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob,

Stay safe and I hope your work goes well. Our thoughts are with you guys. Alice McNatty (Merv McNatty's daughter and my sister) is caught in Padang. We have had brief calls with her, and she is safe and well. We have emailed your Red Cross email address with further details.

Courtney McNatty.

Donald said...

Hang in there Bob and keep up the good work. The tale of a 100 kids buried is a challenging thought for me back here! I wonder not only if they'll make it, but what it's like for them if they're alive, and about their parents and families - how they feel and handle it all!

Cheers

Donald

Steffi said...

That´s everything so sad what´s happend there!
Good luck and stay safe,Bob!

Bob McKerrow - Wayfarer said...

Dear Courtney

Spent a little time with Alice today. She is now a volunteer for the Indonesian Red Cross and working hard out there where she can make a difference.. She has a great humanitarian attitude. Tell Merv I am really proud to have McNatty blood. You have a dedicated sister. God bless. Bob McKerrow

Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my
own weblog and was wondering what all is required to get set up?
I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost
a pretty penny? I'm not very web smart so I'm not 100% positive.
Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Here is my blog; Additional Options (vaporizermexico.com)