Monday 6 August 2012

Junk food, kayaking and caving in Halong Bay Vietnam

Halong Bay is a World heritage site with over 2000 islands rising from the calm sea water. I spent a few days here late in July 2012.

We travelled on a renovated junks which are a comfortable way to travel and see the massive caves and enjoy sailing, or sea kayaking.







I hired a double kayak with Claude, a French Canadian working in Vanuatu and paddled round some of the islands for a few hours.







Sea Kayaking is a popular activity in this island paradise.

Life on deck is enjoyable and you can order drinks from the bar.

I dined with a delightful Dutch family and Claud on the right who I kayaked with some hours before.

The islands are peppered with caves and the largest of them all, is Hang Dau Go which comprises three main chambers. Although very attractive, you can feel the cave is suffering from too many people visiting and there clearly needs to be better environmental management in the whole Halong Bay area.
A close up of stallitites in Hang Dau Go cave taken on my mobile phone.











Junk food, the best of food on our Junk. We get a chance to learn how to make spring rolls on board.


The view from the entrance of the Hang Dau Go cave.

Sadly its time to weigh anchor and head back to Halong City and back to Hanoi.
On the way back to Hanoi we stopped at some handicrafts and watched laquer work and paiting being made.
Whilst not advertising for commercial gain, I would like to write that I used Topas Travel for my rail bookings etc.,  for my climb of Mt. Fansipan and trip to Halong Bay. I got excellent service.