Friday 6 January 2012

Back in the Southern Alps of New Zealand

Today I visited the 'Home of Mountaineering' the NZ Alpine Club headquarters in Christchurch for the first time and it was so good to meet Margaret who has been running the HQ for many years and has been so helpful. On my way out I met Pat Deavoll, who recently did an amazing first ascent in the Wakhan corridor in Afghanistan and planning to return for another expedition. I am currently reading her 'book 'wind from a distant summit.' Then  I met Kester Brown, the managing editor/director of the NZ Alpine Journal and NZ Climber. Then 'Grubby Knees' breezed in, the one and only Geoff Gabities, with a copy of  Paul Maxim's book on Bill Denz in his hand. I hadn't seen Geoff for 20 years or so.

My last posting comprised photographs of the Godley, Murchison, Whataroa, Perth, Tasman, Spencer, Burton and Callery valleys and their mountains, spurs and rivers. This posting is on Franz, Fox, Balfour, Hooker and Tasman.

The recently named Hillary Ridge to the left leading to the low peak of Aoraki Mt. Cook, The Caroline Face and the east ridge ( I did an ascent with Chris Timms on Christmas Day,1971) and Mt. Tasman and Lendenfeld out to the right. Photo: Bob McKerrow 



A photo I took about ten days ago looking from Glacier Peak to Douglas. Coincidetally, I am reading the book about Bill Denz 'Bold Beyond Belief'' and am reminded that Jim Cowie and I did a traverse from Glacier peak to Mt. Douglas with Bill Denz Chris Frazer  on 26 December 1971. Photo: Bob McKerrow

Mounts Tasman, Torres, Dampier and Aoraki Cook. Photo: Bob McKerrow


Looking down the Tasman Glacier to all highest peaks in New Zealand. Photo: Bob McKerrow

Mt. Tasman and its northern aspects, with the Balfour glacier prominent centre right. Photo: Bob McKerrow
The middle section of the Fox Glacier as it twists seawards. Photo: Bob McKerrow




From Glacier Peak, Douglas, Haidinger round to Haast with the Fox neve in the foreground. Photo: Bob McKerrowh
The summit of Mt. Tasman. Photo: Bob McKerrow


South face of Hicks. How readily I recall John Glasgow guiding the famous eye doctor, Fred Hollows and spending a night with them in Empress Hut after the ascent. They climbed it from the ridge on the left leading up to Harper's Saddle.Photo: Bob McKerrow


The South Face of Aoraki Mt. Cook and an interesting perspective of the three summits and the summit ridge. I recall guiding Vern Leader who was 64 years of age with Aat Vervoorn in 1973. Photo: Bob McKerrow




Minarets round to just past Graham saddle. Photo: Bob McKerrow

Tomorrow I return to Sri Lanka after a most rejuvenating holiday in the South Island of New Zealand. I have seen most of the mountains in the Southern Alps from Lewis Pass down to Mt. Poseidon, at the head of the Rock Burn, close to Mt. Earnslaw. I didn’t climb anything significant, but a few smaller peaks in the foothills. But the joy of being back in the mountains after working hard for the last year in Sri Lanka for the Red Cross on winding up the tsunami operation, and working with internally displaced families and on a large flood recovery operation

5 comments:

Donald said...

Hi Bob

You've really got around on this trip! Great photos too.

Hope you have a good trip back.

Cheers

Donald

Bob McKerrow - Wayfarer said...

Tks Donald. You were a big part of our trip. we have just boarded the plane. Tks for everything.

Gollum said...

Bob

Nice shots, but you really need to see Danilo Hegg's website for his photos from recent ascents of Tutoko, Tasman and Cook. Some very nice stuff.

How is the book? I was trying to get a copy sent out but since the postage is higher than the price of the book and the release is quite limited, I won't bother unless it is a good read.

Cheers

Gollum

Bob McKerrow - Wayfarer said...

Gollum, I wanted to visit all the 3000 m peaks and other peaks, and many of those valleys that connect to the Tasman, Franz, Fox, Whataroa I climbed between 1966 and 1995. I also wanted to visit the heads of Wanaka and Wakatipu where my Great Grand Father explored and surveyed, which is featured in my latest posting.

I look forawd to visiting Danilo Hegg's website.

A happy New Year to you.

Unknown said...

www1016
nike shoes
christian louboutin
ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet online
canada goose outlet
kate spade handbags


canada goose outlet
louboutin shoes