Monday 6 August 2007

Off to Geneva




I am off to Geneva this afternoon. It is a city I lived in for 4 years and know well. I look foward to enjoying the Fete de Geneve. The Lakefront Festival and its boat races, the new Elegance Parade, culinary specialities from 32 countries and the fairground, arts and crafts displays and concerts makes it a fascinating event.

One can enjoy the unique atmosphere at the Scène des Clubs, with its concerts held under the magnificent trees in the Jardin Anglais, and watch one of the biggest fireworks displays in the world. The great attraction is it is free of charge.

Here is a poem I wrote last time I was in Geneva

Calvin

A lonely chime
Rustles life into
Slumbering insects
In fallow fields
Where Knox and Calvin
Wandered deep in thought

A lazy chime
Rolls over a
Once puritanical city
Drained by the Rhone
And gathering greed
Veiled by a humanitarian face

Bob McKerrow

No comments: